14 September 2010

Praise him in the typo

I was on retreat at Alnmouth Friary last month and was struck by a change in wording in the Eucharistic prayers. In its older forms the opening sentences of the Eucharistic prayers include the lines:
Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.


It is right to give him thanks and praise.

In Common Worship the response now reads,
It is right to give thanks and praise.
A very different sentiment!

It would be nice to think that this was just a typo like the one in Friday morning prayers in the shorter form of Celebrating Common Praise. However, I fear that it was actually a cack-handed attempt to impose inclusive language on the text. Now I have nothing against inclusive language properly implemented. Indeed part of my day job is ensuring that inclusive language is properly implemented in the texts I edit. However, introducing inclusivity should not change the meaning of the text quite so much. So from now on, whenever I take part in Church of England Eucharists, you will hear me say:
It is right to give God thanks and praise.

No comments: