12 July 2013

No longer linked in

People keep telling me that to market my editing and writing effectively I need to be actively involved in social networking website like Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn. Twitter has never attracted me; I abandoned Facebook because of privacy (and copyright) concerns.

Now my experiment with LinkedIn has come to an end: I closed my account last week after I started receiving messages from complete strangers saying that they had accepted my invitation to link with me. It did occur to me that perhaps LinkedIn was automatically extracting email addresses from my gmail account and sending out invitations on my behalf. But I checked the latest example – someone from Dublin who works in telecommunications – no sign of her email address anywhere in my gmail account!

No comments: